Wednesday 10 July 2024

A Naval Wargaming Miscellany*

*With apologies to Bob Cordery for borrowing part of his blog title!


Shown for completeness - volume one and the newly acquired volume two of the German Capital Ships and Raiders series

It is a bit of mixed bag this post as there are a few periods being covered - it just seemed tidier to roll them all into one!

First of all is the book section. I am delighted to have been able to score volume two of the  German Capital Ships and Raiders of WW2 series - highlights of this volume include the Channel Dash, operations against the Tirpitz, Barents Sea and the North Cape - and the Malta Convoys title was a 50p charity shop find! I have owned Six Frigates previously but this was one of the titles that vanished into the Bermuda Triangle a few years back - at least I think it must have asI do not remember selling it!


Warlord Black Seas 1:700th scale galleys - large and small. These and the Xebecs below feature in the Black Seas Holdfast supplement and form part of a cunning plan….


The Xebecs involve rather more work than the Galleys - they require sails for one thing - but for all that they are lovely looking models

I mentioned in my last post about the two types of ship above and my recent acquisition of a bundle of Black Seas stuff. These would be the first Black Seas models I will assemble and there is a rationale behind this. They have a limited amount of rigging which will be easier for me to cut my teeth on before going full on ‘age of sail modeller’ on the more conventional vessels of the period! For the planned 1st Barbary War of 1801 to 1805 I will not need many models being well supplied with frigates, sloops, brigs and schooners. I do not have any of the big US frigates but that would be easily rectified (and currently is being so).

This will not see the light of day for a while, simply because Developing the Portable Ironclads Wargame is back in the frame, but it will certainly be a different type of Napoleonic era age of sail game. Besides, it is about time I tackled some grown up modelling!


4 comments:

Ray Rousell said...

Looming good Dave.

Aly Morrison said...

Good to see you completing those little book collections… it always nicely satisfying.
The ships look good… and appear to be a nice size.


All the best. Aly

David Crook said...

Hi Raymondo,

Cheers old chap! They are rather nice looking models for sure.

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Aly,

I was pleased to get volume 2 for the reason you mentioned - to be honest I did not really need it but when has that ever been a problem…? :-)

The models are lovely looking and look to be relatively straightforward to put together. I will need to get some bases organised but there is no hurry.

Yet….

All the best,

DC