Starfighters R Us! Registers very highly on the fun factor and with bags of potential!
Yesterday evening at the club saw your truly taking command of a Z95 Headhunter - a single seat ‘snub’ fighter - along with one other and taking on a pair of TIE Fighters in an asteroid field (naturally). The rules in use were Voidfighter published by Osprey and the models, including the asteroids and the star field gaming cloth were from the collection of the esteemed Mr Fox. I should mention that he has a substantial collection of models from the Star Wars based X Wing game and so these provided the mounts we used.
Sadly I did not get any pictures but the game ended with both TIE fighters being vaporised, in part due to some truly outrageous dice rolling by myself rather than any apparent tactical nous. For the record the Z95s scored a TIE each. Despite being a small fight - as much to introduce new players (myself and Mr Huband) as for the scenario itself - it was a lot of fun and I can easily see this becoming a club staple. As an aside I have actually owned the rules for a while now but this was my first run out with them. It will most definitely not be the last though!
Aside from the obvious Star Wars angle the potential for other Sci Fi backgrounds is obvious. Battlestar Galactica being one as well as a whole host of other fictional universes. For my own part I rather like the idea of something pulp based - Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers being prime contenders - or even something VSF related.
The rules themselves are designed for fighters only with a corvette sized vessel being the largest that could be deployed. It is a very theatrical set, as befits the genre, and play fairly rattles along. I shall enjoy playing around with this so there is yet another distraction when I should be looking at ironclads!
Despite being rocket powered and called Komet the Me163 never made it into space - this was the star field cloth over which the Star Wars game was fought.
The talented Mr Huband brought along the latest addition to his Axis and Allies Angels 20 collection - a resin and metal 15mm scale Me163 Komet. Before anyone asks yes, we have stats for one of these and again, yes - it is pretty fast! Mr Huband did a lovely paint job on this and I will look forward to seeing it in action, assuming the pilot hasn’t melted due to fuel leak….


No comments:
Post a Comment