Sunday 14 May 2023

The Positive Impact of Largesse




Ancient Britons - chariots, skirmishers with cavalry and the all important warbands in the rear


How outrageously good are they?


Late Romans - the legions ready to do battle


So there is the full panoply of the Late Roman army - six bases of the legion, including the C in C, four bases of auxiliaries flanking the artillery and two cavalry units - light on the left and the heavies on the right/


This is not the post I expected to be writing - sadly my naval encounter will need to wait an extra day or so - but it is a post that has given me an enormous amount to think about!

Indulge me a little, if you will, as this personal history is relevant to this post but it will help to things into context. 

When Irregular Miniatures first launched their 2mm range (back in the 1980s I recall) I was hugely excited at the prospect of the potential these models would have. I remember buying substantial amounts of the horse and musket range along with ancients when these came out - at the time I was still on the end of my WRG 6th edition adventures - but never really had a clear idea of what I was going to do with them. Was it a step too far for the mainstream? Possibly - but for me the seed had been sown. 

Anyways, fast forward to the current century and I have continued to dabble in the 2mm and 3mm world which means in my case buying stuff, doing nothing with it for one reason or another and then selling it on. Having said that I still have a bag of Peter Pig ACW figures from their Hammerin’ Iron range that are looking for some TLC at some point….

The seemingly monotonous round of buying stuff, hanging on to it for six months or so and then offloading it showed little sign of abating but the 3mm stuff still lurked in the collection - unloved but promised to better things at some point. 

The ‘some point’ was running an idea past that all round good guy and brush master extraordinaire Lee - as in A figure painting therapy project

Some time ago I approached him with an idea about painting some ACW stuff for me for the naval project. The idea was to use the Peter Pig troops for the land side in support of the ships. Anyways, we bounced a few emails around but for reasons too boring to discuss it never happened. We stayed in contact though and like many other bloggers I have really enjoyed seeing his various painting projects and just staying in touch.

Imagine my surprise then when a cryptic message from Lee arrived earlier in the week telling me that a package was en route and arrived yesterday - the contents of which you can see above.

So, a pair of DBA armies - Late Roman and Ancient Briton in 3mm. What can I say? Where to start?

The two armies are quite incredible to look at - Lee’s skill with a paintbrush is very much at the Olympian level of awesomeness - and the models really ‘pop’ off the bases. They are recognisable as what they should be and the only thing I will do will be to add them to a slightly thicker base for ease of handling.        

The figures themselves are from the range produced by Oddzial Ozmy and available from Magister Militum in the UK. There is also a whole world of other periods covered in this scale and the models themselves are outstanding.

So what does all this mean then? Well for one thing the use of 2mm and 3mm armies has certainly come along leaps and bounds since those early days of Irregular Miniatures. We now have dedicated rule sets for the scale - Strength and Honour for ancients springs to mind, their game at salute was incredible to look at - and it seems that more and more gamers are looking long and hard at the scale. Ray Rousell , a dyed in the wool 28 and 15mm gamer,  has been busy beavering away with some 2mm armies for the battle of Almansa 1707 and they look outstanding - his rules of choice being Volley and Bayonet. There are many others in the blogosphere that have dabbled or are dabbling in these smaller scales so to speak so the scales seem to be easing into the mainstream alongside their larger counterparts.

Seeing the armies that Lee very generously sent me ‘up close and personal’ has really given me a lot to think about along with the pang of regret at all the stuff I had in this scale that has long gone! I need to dig out the Peter Pig ACW blocks and have a mess around with them methinks! Packing a base with small figures certainly helps to make the twelve elements of a DBA army look rather more like a real army as the pictures above show.

My sincerest thanks to Lee for this incredible gift - there will certainly be some DBA games in the near future - and for showing me just how good these models can be made to look. He does work on a commission basis but currently has, unsurprisingly given the quality of his painting, a pretty full order book for the next century or so so I consider myself to be doubly fortunate!

Cheers Lee, I owe you a beer or two!

10 comments:

SteelonSand said...

Welcome to the Dark Side ! Mwaaaahahaaa ! The tiny troops have finally pulled you in !
As you say, things have definitely moved on from the 80’s - plenty out there to tempt you now - and some wonderful generosity on display from Lee, too boot, kudos to him.

Donnie McGibbon said...

Lovely gift and they are quite superb, hard to believe they are 3mm. I have some 3mm Napoleonics stuck in a box somewhere, must give them a try! I have enjoyed following Ray's 2mm project, small scale is certainly on the up!!

David Crook said...

Hello there Mr Hudson,

I really should trusted my instincts back in the 1980s but better late than never and all that! As I recall you did some work with the ACWs in 3mm, long before the current project. I think for me it was all about seeing these ‘up close and personal’ to fully appreciate the potential. Lee did a superb job on these and as well as being a truly gifted painter is a thoroughly decent generous chap - I only hope he realises what a rabbit hole I have been pushed down!

All the best old chap, great to hear from you!

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Donnie,

I am still in awe at just how good these are and also the quality of the castings themselves. It was a quite superb gesture on Lee’s part and I am hugely grateful for sure and am planning some period opposition for both. For the Late Romans I am tempted by the Sassanid Persians whilst the Ancient Britons will get some Late Republican/Early Imperial Romans. In fact the Britons would form the basis for a Gallic army with a couple more warbands and some cavalry which opens up a few more avenues.

We shall see!

All the best,

DC

Aly Morrison said...

They certainly look impressive David…and excellent for DBA… or any One Hour/Travel Battle style games.
A lovely gift indeed…

All the best. Aly

David Crook said...

Hello there Aly,

I was absolutely delighted, gobsmacked even, by this and of course, Lee’s painting needs little introduction from me - they are quite simply exquisite!

DBA would be the first port of call and of course, there are a few other options to explore as well.

Of course it has released the butterfly once again…. :-)

All the best,

DC

'Lee. said...

My absolute pleasure David. As you know I love painting but just can't get into the gaming these days so it's going to be great seeing them being used and enjoyed :)

Lee

David Crook said...

Hi ‘Lee,

I still keep opening the box to look at them! Joking aside, after looking very closely at them I can see how and why you did what you did when painting these and it works an absolute treat. It has certainly inspired me and I am thinking that individual figures rather than solid blocks would suit me better.

I have been looking at range on Magister Militum and have, as you might expect, one or two ideas….

See what you have unleashed :-)

Once again many, many thanks ‘Lee,

All the best best old chap,

DC

Steve J. said...

A very generous gift and there 3mm figures look so much better than the 2mm ones. I've tried this route before and whilst liking the effect, I've never been happy with the terrain I've produced, namely roads and rivers. Maybe something to re-visit in the future...

David Crook said...

Hi there Steve J,

If I am honest I think that 3mm edges it slightly as well - the 1mm seems to make a lot of difference! This far I have not considered terrain but suspect that MDF will be involved one way or another!

It was an incredible gift to receive and Lee is a wonderful chap to boot. Not literally, of course! :-)

All the best,

DC