Monday 1 May 2023

Developing the Portable Ironclads Wargame….Part 3


Confederate ships looking for trouble in Mobile Bay. 

Aside from my recent galley flirtation, coupled with an aerial and Plains War distraction, I have been quietly beavering away on the follow up volume to the Portable Ironclads Wargame. The expanded ship specs for the American Civil War have been completed so now I am chipping away at the optional rules. I will also be including some ideas for scenarios inspired by a selection of historical actions and, as mentioned previously, an after action report will certainly feature.

At present I am exploring an optional movement whereby opposing ships are moved alternatively based on the initiative roll. The rationale behind this is that it would better represent the seemingly chaotic ‘Pell-mell’ nature of many ACW naval battles. Early days yet and as a concept it is not without its challenges.

Nothing new on the shipbuilding front although I shall be resuming production in the next few days - the C.S.S. Tennessee is not going to build itself!


6 comments:

Ray Rousell said...

All sounds like its coming together very nicely Dave.

David Crook said...

Hi Ray,

It has been good to get back to it as there was definitely an element of ‘unfinished business’ about the whole thing.

All the best,

DC

Will Corlett said...

Looks interesting, I have been messing with single squares myself- my 3d prints are max 4 inches.
Turning is unchanged (1 point per 45 degrees) but only one turn per square per turn for all ships except side wheelers who can turn two.
I use two sets of counters (one per ship) and draw for which side moves next, seems to work. Playing around with rolling 1d6 initiative and adding differnce\2 counters for the winner, ties add nothing- ships only move once per turn.
Looking forward to your next book

David Crook said...

Hi Will,

Thank you kindly old chap! The next book will feature a ‘single hex/square’ option and two square option as well. The challenge has always been for me the firing arcs but I think I have it dialled in now.

The only issue I have at present is that models are on the large size to would ideally need a 6” square or hex to work - which is fine but it really puts a strain on my playing area!

I like the idea of a card/counter drawn activation but as yet have not tried anything along those lines but may well do so now.

All the best and thanks once again,

DC

Aly Morrison said...

You seem to have a cunning plan old chap…

All the best. Aly

David Crook said...

Hello there Mr Morrison,

Always! There are also a few others coming down the track…. ;-)

All the best,

DC