Friday 18 August 2023

What on earth are Sprue doing?


Really pleased to have gotten a supply of these - the four ‘flagpoles’ are incredibly useful and have solved one particular building issue….

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away….I purchased the first edition of Games Workshop Epic 40K game along with the original version of Adeptus Titanicus. I had a lot of fun with both until it all went very “Games Workshopy” - lots of supplements, add one and increasingly expensive models - and the collections of both were disposed of. True to form, at the time I remember using many of the component parts from both games for a variety of things - the weapons from Adeptus formed the basis of a couple of fleets of starships - but there was one piece in particular that was extremely useful. It is also a piece I have been trying to get a hold of for a number of years. 

The piece in question is a figure base base sprue. The bases for the figures at the time were 20mm square with five circular recesses - aligned like the five on a D6 - to drop the figures into. Also on the sprue were four ‘flagpoles’ used to identify command bases. It was these that I was after, not the bases, just the ‘flagpoles’. If you look closely at the picture above you can see that each of these has what looks like a muzzle brake on one end - this fits into the base - and a flat circular tab on the other. I used loads of these for weapons on a vast array of scratch built star fighters based on a combination of Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica. I have a huge surplus of these as of the four bases on a sprue only one had the hole to affix a flagpole so there were three spare from every sprue.

The spaceships and star fighters have long gone - around thirty odd years long gone - but I always remembered those flagpoles and for something very specific for the American Civil War ship collection.

Spar Torpedoes.

I have tried all manner of things to fashion a spar torpedo mount but nothing I tried seemed to look right and whilst using these ‘flagpoles’ may seem like a cop out they certainly fit is with the aesthetic look of my models. They are, after all, purely representational!

My plan is to fit both of the Atlanta models I have completed and also the C.S.S. Webb. I will also be able to use these for a few other models currently under consideration. I picked up 21 sprues - no bases, just the flagpoles - from a chap on eBay for next to nothing so I will have plenty to use going forwards.

6 comments:

Ray Rousell said...

You just never know what bargains you can find on good ol ebay!

David Crook said...

Hello there Ray,

Absolutely! I now have more of these than I am likely to ever need but am pleased I persevered in trying to get some. There are a number of ACW ships that can now be built and a couple I can finish off.

All the best,

DC

Paul O'G said...

Clever David!

David Crook said...

Hello there Paul,

I have a long history with those flagpoles and so was really pleased to get hold of some - they are really useful!

All the best,

DC

Aly Morrison said...

A very clever use of what most people would have consigned to landfill…

All the best. Aly

David Crook said...

Hello there Aly,

I used to keep every piece of sprue I could for various things but have not done so for some time. These came via eBay and were cheap enough but the real saving for me is that they are ready to use - especially for the aforementioned spar torpedo boats.

Saving oddments from landfill is definitely something I do - I like to think of it as being Wombling Wargaming….

All the best,

DC