Monday 29 January 2024

Front Loading for Retirement*


An excellent book and crying out to be Portable Ironclads Wargamed! But how or even when?

Assuming I ‘go the distance’ then at the time of writing I have 973 days until I retire - not that I am counting! I will retire when I am able to and if my current employment sees fit to put me out to pasture sooner then so be it. It would not be the end of the world if that happened - the house is paid for and we are financially ok in a modest way. From a personal perspective it would mean that I could spend more quality time with Laurel - which seems an odd viewpoint when I am working fully remote at home - and the pace of our lives would be a good deal less frenetic. I will have to see how things go but the relative nearness to the big ‘R’ means that decisions need to be made in respect of many things - the inevitable down or right size into a more manageable property - and of course, my collection.

In many ways I have been moving towards this over recent months, years even, with a series of disposals and selected acquisitions, all of which are designed to be as compact as possible. There are several decisions that have already been reached - more by chance than design - but I seem to heading in the right direction. More or less….

1. No more large armies 15mm or upwards. Aside from lacking the inclination to build large armies the associated cost and space requirement is too high. Any ‘armies’ I look to build will be confined to 6mm or smaller (more of which later). I shall still use 28mm for skirmish sized actions - 0200 being a case in point - or possibly even a dabble into Rampant territory but of necessity this will need to be carefully planned and managed. I have a WoFun ACW collection in 18mm which will go against this ruling, mainly because the armies take up so little space. I may even dabble further with WoFun but who knows?

2. Aircraft and ships will remain a constant as either take up little space and terrain requirements are fairly modest. I especially enjoy making ships and so see no reason to stop!

3. Boardgames. I have a long history with boardgames and with the choice and selection available there is plenty to keep me going. I have consciously moved towards tactical boardgames or specifically designed solo types. I have a couple that qualify as strategic level and indeed, I may well explore this further but ina measured way. The tactical games I have chosen are mainly those that cover periods of history I am unlikely to ever translate into miniatures based games. As a confirmed grid based wargamer the transition from miniatures to counters/blocks or back again is a very easy one to make!

For Tactical combat on land these include various Command and Colours titles (Samurai Battles, Jacobite Rising and American Revolution), Lock and Load (Heroes of North Africa) and Flying Pig Games (‘65, Night of Man). I also have both editions of Combat Infantry by Columbia Games - NW Europe and the Eastern Front for WW2. Finally, I have the full set of the Undaunted series.

4. Small but perfectly formed. I have acquired a collection from the painting legend and all round good chap ‘Lee Gramsom of nine 3mm ancient DBA armies with camps terrain and a set of painted gaming boards as well. I shall be meeting up with him to take collection of these probably on 25/02 - the day of the Cavalier show at Tonbridge in Kent. These are quite exquisite and painted to Lee’s usual outrageously high standard! I used to play a lot of ancients back in the day and enjoy DBA so this collection, in its bespoke storage box will be an ideal way for me to dabble once again. 

5. Mention of skirmish/Rampant style set ups includes such things as the aforementioned 0200 (WW2 night raids) along with Sci Fi Stargrave/Five Parsecs from Home/ Another Glorious Day in the Corps style games. Rampant will be reserved for something special - I have not decided yet but I have a few things in mind.

I do not own vast armies of painted figures and so by keeping to skirmish sized actions in 28mm I can keep things within modest bounds - an important consideration for storage space when the inevitable down/right size comes and for being doable. The biggest single part of my collection is probably the library. Again, I have made strenuous efforts over the last couple of years to keep this within sensible bounds. It is slightly larger than I would like but I have in mind some disposals that should get it to where it should be. This will also have the advantage of enabling me to organise it rather more effectively. As with every part of my collection there is an element of ‘churn’ as things come into or drift out of fashion - the butterfly will o doubt still be fluttering!

If I was to score myself out of ten as to where I am at with this overall retirement vision I would probably give myself a 6, bordering on a 7. There is work to be done but I at least have a handle on what needs attending to and so the overall picture is slowly coming into focus. At least I still have potentially 973 days to get where I need to!

* I am indebted to Aly Morrison for introducing me to the concept of Front Loading for Retirement - many thanks old chap!

14 comments:

El Grego said...

Although my retirement is not yet on the horizon, I have been trimming my collections down and trying to focus. Not an easy task!

You are not the first blogger to bring up Undaunted very recently and now I'm intrigued - so much for focus

David Crook said...

Hello there EG,

The constant churn of my collection has been ongoing for years now - probably decades even - so I am quite used to it although like you, trying to focus is occasionally a challenge!

Originally my plan was to settle for Undaunted: Normandy, North Africa nd the reinforcement pack (the latter has a solo module in it). I then saw that the Battle of Britain was given the Undaunted treatment and then Stalingrad so they joined the collection as well. There is a Sci Fi version coming out at some point so that will probably be added in as well!

Something or things will have to make way though.

All the best,

DC

Donnie McGibbon said...

I have just under three years until I can call a halt to my working life and have yet to formulate any plans for downsizing the collection!! T=Your plans are well thought out and also seem well in hand, well done sir!!

David Crook said...

Hi Donnie,

Plans is probably the best way of describing what has in fact been a rather haphazard collection of ideas, all seeming to point in the same direction! I have always churned my collection - not always successfully as there are things I continue to circle back to - mainly due to the simple factor of economics. If I want to buy in to a new project then the monies need to come from somewhere hence the periodic cycle of buying and selling.

I was extremely fortunate with the great board game haul as this funded a number of ideas and in many ways helped to steady the ship in respect of my various interest. The difference now is of course the looming spectre of retirement that I fully intend embracing emphatically when I get to it!

All the best,

DC

Elliesdad said...

Well, I’m also “not counting” the days before retirement. Currently = 20. Sure, I’ll be finishing work a few weeks before my 66th birthday, but what the heck…
I’m not a painter, but have prepped a few armies (mostly 2mm scale) for painting by friends. When I finish work I intend to do considerably more gaming - although my wife is under the impression I’ll be taking on all household cleaning duties… ☹️
Oh well, the “daily grind” of work will start in less than 30 minutes - but once the clock reaches 4:30pm then only 19 work days will remain.
Cheers,
Geoff 😉⚔️

'Lee. said...

Time will soon fly by David and retirement planning is a good idea. It's certainly a time for reflection, which I think is what helped me to make my decision to do the model railway hobby, I'd been thinking about it for years :) I'm glad you are taking on the 3mm armies (you got in there fast!) and hope they will bring you many hours of pleasure. Whilst I enjoy opening the boxes for a peep at them I have lost all interest in the gaming side and these need to used and enjoyed.
All the best and see you in late Feb.
Lee.

Elenderil said...

David, I went through this exact process as I entered the home stretch towards retirement. It was well worth the time and effort. My small but much loved 25mm Ancients collection was replaced in 6mm using DBA base format and actually was expanded upon without extending the storage required. I have become addicted to the Really useful Box in their 4 and 9 litre capacity format they are just right for 6mm DBA if you use the hobby trays.

As you will know from my own blog posts I had also started down the 2mm/3mm rabbit hole as well. That scale works especially well for mechanised warfare and I found a set of rules (A Fistful of Tows) I liked and which would allow me to handle pretty well the entire 20th century and early 21st century. It also allows bigger actions in earlier periods without breaking the bank. One bit of advice is to get you major spending done before retirement while you have a salary coming in or straight afterwards in the retirement fund allows. After that the lure of other projects to go with the free time you will be enjoying will pull your wallet in conflicting directions!

Keep counting down it will surprise you as to how quickly those days will tumble to double then single figures.

David Crook said...

Hi Geoff (aka Elliesdad),

I think at this stage the biggest advantage I can see for me once I have retired is that our life can be conducted at a more measured pace as the inevitable domestic round can be spread across the week rather than crammed into the weekend. It will that Laurel’s ongoing hospital appointments will not have to be arranged around my work schedule which, although I work fully remotely, is pretty full on.

18 days to go eh? I hope you are able to get in some quality hobby time around the domestic chores - my plan is certainly to be able to do so!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi ‘Lee,

If the speed in which the years since I started work (1977) is anything to go by then 2026 will be here like a shot! I want to make sure that I will have all I need as I head into retirement so that for the most part expenditure will be care and maintenance rather than starting large projects. I am absolutely sure that the occasional ‘ooh shiny’ moment will be there but at least that will be manageable.

The 3mm ancients are a good example in that it is very much good to go as is - all I need to do will be to rebuild my ancient library which is easily done - so can be used at a drop of a hat. I am very much looking forwards to collecting it and of course going to Rochester again (I suspect that Baggins Book Bazaar will get a cheeky visit!).

All the best old cha and thank you for solving one part of my retirement puzzle!

DC

David Crook said...

Hello there Elenderil,

You are absolutely right about the advantage of small scale stuff and of laying in the gaming supplies whilst still earning! I have deliberately purchased a few bits and pieces that I have no intention of doing anything with just yet - a three year wait might be a stretch though - because, and this is very true in respect of boardgames, you have to get them when you see them or you run the risk of missing out.

The work involved in the disposal of Eric’s collection has served as a timely reminder that large collections will cause all manner of hassle once the owner has departed (for the record I am not planning on doing so just yet!) in terms of storage and disposal. Trimming everything back at this stage is a sound idea especially when one factors in a potential down size in due course.

In truth I do not miss having large collections of figures and indeed, have not done so for some years now - keeping things small scale and compact is the way for me.

All the best,

DC

Aly Morrison said...

Some well planned front loading David…
But beware… We all know what happens to plans 🤣

All the best. Aly

David Crook said...

Hi Aly,

Something about ‘of mice and men’ as I recall…. :-)

I am hoping to retire the butterfly when I retire - said no wargamer ever…. :-)

All the best,

DC

Glory to Ruritania said...

Wasn’t it Moltke who said “No plan survives contact with the enemy” Gosh you are right David time is just flying bye. Wish you luck with all the plans sounds like you are achieving your objectives with practical steps. Quinn

David Crook said...

Hello there Quinn,

I have worked on the basis that having a plan is better than not and so even if one deviates from it one still has the core to cling to!

That is the plan anyway :-)

All the best,

DC