Wednesday 17 April 2024

More on Wings of War and Glory


Rules and the scenario book - I will be collecting a rather better copy of both shortly - as well some of the Litko flame and fire markers. These are not included in the game but came with the bulk of the collection. They are safely tucked away in a polythene bag.

After a hectic session of wheeling and dealing my collection of models etc for Wings of Glory is pretty much where I want it to be. For sure there are a couple of holes - I would love to get a further brace of Fokker D7s as well as a pair of Bristol Fighters - but I have sufficient models for a variety of actions.

I shall be doing a photoshoot once all is organised but to give you a taster of what to expect the collection looks something like this:

Allies

4 x SE5a, 4 x SPAD 13, 4 x Sopwith Camel, 4 x Sopwith Snipe, 2 x DH4 and 2 x RE8

Germany

7 x Albatross DVa, 1 x German badged Sopwith Camel*, 4 x Fokker DR1, 2 x Fokker D7, 2 x Roland, 2 x Rumpler, 2 x Halbastadt and 2 x Hannover.

I also have an observation balloon.

All of the models are stored in bespoke blue foam trays and the entire collection lives in a box roughy the size of two standard shoe boxes. 

I have four of the gaming mats. These are as follows: East and West sectors, No Mans Land and Countryside. Each mat is roughly 3ft by 2ft and are of the neoprene variety.

Some of the models will be getting some minor paintwork or insignia changes but nothing as drastic as full on repainting. There is no real hurry to do this but it will be fun to personalise the collection. Naturally my thoughts are not limited to solely using the Wings of Glory system - I have plenty of other sets of rules to play around with, some free table based, others on hexagonal grids - but for now the key thing is having the models ready to use at the drop of a hat. In many respects aerial games are not unlike naval in that one usually does not require little or anything by way of terrain. It is also as compact for storage.

* Otto Kissenberth flew a captured Sopwith Camel in combat and scored his 20th aerial victory (a SE5a) whilst doing so. The Camel bit him back shortly after though, as he crashed after the engine stalled shortly after taking off. A heavy impact crashing from some 40 metres seriously injured the German flyer and ended his war for him.

In Other News….

I have been told that my current position is at risk of redundancy and so I am currently going through the consultation process. The company is looking at other alternatives for me across the group and of course I am looking at other options out in the world. To be honest if all goes to hell in a hand basket it would not be the end of the world as I am due to retire in 2026 in any event. It would be nice though, to have the choice as to when I retire!

6 comments:

Donnie McGibbon said...

Really looking forward to seeing this on the table as it sounds fascinating. Hope your redundancy consultation works out for you, I too am due to retire in 2026, no doubt it will rattle in quickly!

David Crook said...

Hi Donnie,

The game is hugely popular and having it ready to go ‘straight off the bat’ is a huge advantage for me. WW1 aerial games are a lot of fun to play and are visually very attractive..

I shall see what happens re the consultation but I am not confident that it will be heading in any direction other than out!

We shall see,

All the best,

DC

Steve J. said...

Well those sets do look useful and nice to know you can get a game in on a small mat, as the demo games I've seen at shows have been rather large to say the least.

Good luck on the consultation front, but when I was made redundant, after the initial 'shock', it turned out to be the best thing I could have done at that time, as it allowed me to become a full time carer for our son. Financially worse off but sooooo much happier!

Aly Morrison said...

It sounds like you have built up a couple of fine airforces David…
I look forward to seeing them when you do a fly past…
If they give you a big bag of cash and a kiss goodbye… You can use it to fund your rules writing empire and live the rock and roll life you always dreamed of 🤣

All the best. Aly

David Crook said...

Hi Steve J,

If I am thinking of the same show game as you are then yes, it was massive and certainly not representative of what can be gamed ‘normally’. I have had some cracking games on a single mat but reckon that two of them would be the sweet spot for me.

The whole redundancy thing would be no bad thing to be honest for pretty much similar reasons - caring for Laurel and and being happier (at least I would not have to live at a hundred miles an hour!).

We shall see how it plays out.

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Aly,

I am planning a photoshoot at some point and so the blog will have some rather fetching looking aircraft on display.

It wont be a big bag of cash but at least I will have a little more time to do stuff!

All the best,

DC