A selection of rules for varying levels of medieval mayhem
As usual, any likelihood of me painting armies for the period is slim to none but that is not to say that I will not dabble in some fashion. I rather like the scale of Lion Rampant and in truth, forces for the Crusades using these rules would be as big a commitment in terms of painting figures as I would like to undertake. However, courtesy of a supplement in an edition of Wargames Illustrated called Assassins and Templars - released around the excellent book of the same name by the eminent Crusades historian Steve Tibble - I now have the opportunity to raise even smaller forces than needed for Lion Rampant.
Steve Tibble’s excellent study of both the Assassins and the Templars and the Lion Rampant Crusades supplement - really useful!
Assassins and Templers - a Ruckus game - uses forces of up to around a dozen figures a side which is ideal or the reluctant or disinterested figures painter. I am quite happy fighting actions at this level using 28mm figures and so have been thinking about what I would need when along came Pillage, published by Victrix.
Pillage are designed around small scale raids, primarily set during the Viking era but are readily usable beyond this and in other theatres. I am rather taken with these and despite the inevitable glossy hardback book approach the rules themselves look pretty entertaining in an old school kind of way. There is also a useful painting guide and some ideas for making one’s own scenery. I did chuckle at this as there are instructions on making a simple cottage style building using coffee stirrers….
So what does all this mean then? Well, I am not averse to painting up a couple of dozen or so figures for each side so I suspect that acquiring the appropriate figures would be an idea. It is possible to buy individual sprues of most plastic figure ranges so some careful research should point me in the right direction. At first glance I rather like the look of Fireforge - mainly as the figures do not appear to require as much in the way of assembly - but there are plenty of others from Victrix and Gripping Beast.
We shall see but for now it is back to the ironclads….


10 comments:
David, given the minimal figures required it might be worth looking out on the wargaming trading groups on FB.
Snap! Got and enjoyed them all (haven't played Pillage to be fair but have read it).
A fine selection of books and rules David…
I am of course a big fan of Lion Rampant… Pillage is also an interesting looking game…
I would also take a look at Footsore Miniatures Outremer and Barons War Figures… They are very nice.
All the best. Aly
Hello there Mr Kinch,
That is indeed a good idea! I want to keep the figure count fairly modest if possible, mainly because I am a famously reluctant painter of anything organic!
We shall see where this little distraction takes me….
All the best,
DC
G’Day Paul,
As I have always said, great minds do indeed think alike! Pillage definitely looks a lot of fun.
All the best,
DC
Hi Aly,
That looks like a good idea so thanks for the heads up! The butterfly is in full flight mode at present….
All the best,
DC
Might your interest have stemmed from that old French Desert Crusader programme they used to show in school holidays? There seemed to be a lot of French series around then: the Flashing Blade, Robinson Crusoe and that one about the Mirage Pilots.
Hello there Nundanket,
I remember watching The Flashing Blade and Robinson Crusoe but not the one about the Mirage Pilots. Actually it was probably the TV show Richard The Lionheart and the small Ladybird book on his life that clinched it! I vaguely remember the ‘Desert Crusader’ show but cannot swear to it.
For all its historical issues I enjoyed The Kingdom of Heaven (the directors cut) immensely but that does not make me a bad person!
All the best,
DC
You might want to take a look at the Hat range. They are inexpensive, smaller, and with almost no assembly required easier prepare. They are also very nice with a good variety of poses. Ideal for small battles and skirmishing.
Hi there Mark,
I know that Hat have a range of 28mm hard plastic figures for the wars of El CID but availability is a little sketchy. You are quite right about the 20mm stuff though and if I was looking at that scale they would be my first port of call.
All the best,
DC
Post a Comment