My planned book of naval wargames for Pen and Sword is back on!
In a nutshell, following the departure of the commissioning editor at the end of September (I was aware that this going to happen around the beginning of August) I put the manuscript into a holding pattern until I could speak to whoever was picking the title up. The reason for this is that I did not want to draft a whole chunk of manuscript that may not have been required. The half I had written was the main part of the text - the rules and associated explanatory chapters, along with two thirds of the ship specifications - whilst the second half was originally planned to contain the battle reports - the fun stuff.
Fast forward to earlier this week, I had a call with the Marketing Director at Pen and Sword who has taken up a portion of the former editor’s list of titles currently being prepared.
We had a long chat about the book and not only is he keen to publish it but also, he is quite happy for me to write it how I choose. This ‘creative freedom’ (all sounds very ‘art house’) is an absolute godsend as it means I can include exactly what I want and how I want to write it.
In the short term it means that work on the definitive version of The Portable Ironclads Wargame will be pushed back until after the Pen and Sword title has been completed.
I need to revisit some of the existing text to incorporate some changes but this should not take long to do. I can then suggest a deadline to work towards for submitting the manuscript and start making the designs for the ships I shall be using.
I am really delighted with this news as the book will now have a renewed focus on the size of action the rules are intended for.
Best get cracking then! ;-)

No comments:
Post a Comment