Tuesday 19 October 2010

Memoir of Battle at Sea....Part 6

I think I am just about ready to unleash the 'tweaked' version of the above rules. I say 'think' deliberately because since the last post I have been going through mental gymnastics over the changes I think are needed. I have been continually reminding myself (and have also been prompted by others) that less is more and so getting the core concept right should be the main priority with the 'chrome' added later.

The figures I have arrived at for the various ship types differ from my friend Bob Cordery's version but then the timeframe I am trying to cover is wider. I have also dispensed with a couple of game mechanics that seemed like a good idea at the time but add little to the rules other than extra complication.

In the meantime though, the acquisition of a set of Hexon blue tiles has now been elevated to 'most critical!'

2 comments:

Paul O'G said...

Its only the relative strengths of the units which is important - that means you could easily have seperate fleet lists for different periods - pre-drednought, WW1, WW2 etc

David Crook said...

Hi Tas,

Its funny and a spooky coincidence that I was beginning to think along similar lines! In many ways this will also serve to ensure that ship types are more generic rather than class specific because the need to detail them will not be so pressing.

All this cerebral jousting is giving me a nosebleed so I shall go and lie down in a darkened room for a while.....;-)

All the best,

DC