Sunday 10 February 2013

The 15mm WW2 Plastic Revolution


The new Flames of War starter set - and yes, that is a V1 complete with launching rail....

There seems to be an awful lot of new kit around in plastic - and in 15mm. Even Flames of War have taken a leap into this medium with the new starter set for their WW2 rules. The above caught my eye simply because of the V1 - handily scaled at 15mm which means it would be usable with the Angels 20 aircraft I have - chasing down V1 makes for an interesting game as any Air Force player of yesteryear will testify - for something a little different on a club night.

I was impressed with the plastic content of the above - 8 Shermans, 3 Stug 3s and a pair of PAK 40 anti tank guns not to mention US paratroopers and German grenadiers (complete with plenty of handheld anti tank weaponry) - and the obligatory rules and tables and plenty of dice. Very tempting at £45 I can tell you!

The Plastic Soldier Company of course has a pretty good selection of 15mm WW2 kit and so mixing and matching would be a possibility - added to which are the models available from Zvezda. It would appear to be a good time to get into WW2 in 15mm then but the one thing I would love to see is someone tackling another period in this scale in plastic.

Perhaps I should suggest this to someone....;-)

9 comments:

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

It is tempting - very tempting - to go down the 15mm-scale route with so many excellent plastic kits and figures now available.

I must admit to giving it serious consideration, even though I have a shed load of 20mm-scale stuff.

All the best,

Bob

PS. I just bought five Axis & Allies Miniatures SU-76 models on eBay ... for a total of £2.50 plus postage!

Rob Young said...

Having originally been brought up on 1/76th/20mm Airfix figures, and having tried 1/300th scale a few (? - many?) years ago, and having also dipped into 15mm back around the 90's, I have to admit:

WW2 is probably the only scale that consider 15mm to be 'right' for!

Barry Carter said...

The Perrys once did a lovely range of 15mm. 15th.cent. figures, seeing them reproduced in plastic would be an excellent start.

BC.

David Crook said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David Crook said...

Hi Bob,

I am thinking that for me the issue is that I will then have to forego making 20mm kits which is a nostalgic link with my early days in the hobby - such hallowed traditions cannot easily be set aside!

I need to be practical and make sure that the head rules the heart.

Great find re the SU76s - you seem to be hoovering up some real bargains!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Xaltotun,

I am fast coming to that very same opinion!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Barry,

I don't remember those but judging by most of the Perry's output they must have been splendid. I am sure that someone will bite the bullet and tackle other historical periods in 15mm plastic but we will have to wait and see.

All the best,

DC

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

If I could think of a reason that justified a 15mm VI launcher I would go for it ... but to be honest I am striggling

David Crook said...

Hi Geordie,

In FOW apparently this is an objective marker so it could easily be used as the same in a conventional - non-FOW game.

All the best,

DC