Wednesday 7 October 2015

Secrets of the Third Reich

                            

Secrets of the Third Reich - complete with a Helga from 'Allo, allo' lookalike - kind of. Well               maybe not......


I suspect that most readers of this blog are familiar with the German V1 and V2 rockets used towards the end of WW2. In addition to these two weapons the Germans also had a bewildering array of designs and prototypes for a huge variety of advanced weaponry and equipment - from infantry weapons to AFVs and submarines to aircraft. As I recall Revell produced a range of 1/72nd scale plastic kits of a number of the aircraft designs and Pegasus some of the vehicles.







Many of these designs the Germans came up with never made it beyond the drawing board but they do provide a huge amount of potential from a 'what if' perspective. Unsurprisingly a number of games and rules have been produced that capture the essence of the potential post 1945 technology developed by the Germans and the game you see above is one of them. Incursion take the premise that Franco and the Germans captured Gibraltar and the  Third Reich used the existing underground passges for a number of scientific experiments. The complex was also greatly expanded to include U-boat  pens and all manner of technological marvels. The Allies using power armoured infantry have to assault the complex and deactivate a doomsday device protected by some of the results of German chemical experiments - meaning Zombie types - Sturmzombies and Bomberzombies, together with Blitzhounds. All of these types are the result of a chemical administered to them called V-4.

Now I realise this all takes the whole Nazi secret weapon thing to a whole new level (or should that be depth as the action takes place underground) but it makes for a fun game in a Space Hulk kind of way. Interestingly the weaponry used is pretty standard WW2 kit so it would be too difficult to substitute ordinary WW2 types. One could carry out games similar to that in Hour of Glory or using films such as Operation Crossbow, The Heroes of Telemark or Where Eagles Dare as inspiration. I should point out that the miniatures that are available for this game are really nice but are a little on the expensive side for my taste.

I picked up a copy of this game in pristine and unpunched condition at the same boot sale I mentioned in my previous post and if I am honest I purchased it solely to sell on EBay. Having looked at it more closely though I may well do something with it - if only the WW2 stuff mentioned.


8 comments:

Paul O'G said...

I own this game and have played it many times. Think of it as a weird WW2 version of Space Hulk with German Zombies instead of gene stealers. Its a LOT of fun!

David Crook said...

Hi Paul,

Some of the guys have played this at the club but I never got around to it. If I am honest I doubt I would have given it a second thought but for the fact I picked up a copy for a song. I have yet to unpack the contents but the Space Hulk analogy is a good one. I suppose watching The Strain with Nazi vampires kind of put me in the mood for something a little out of the ordinary. I may even take a look at Dust....;-)

All the best,

DC

Paul O'G said...

The game mechanics are actually a bit more developed that SH and to be honest, make it a better game. I was wondering how I could porte the event/command card mechanic back into SH to give it another level of player decisions.

Diplomatist said...

You might want to look at Westwind's overstock section - they have some Weird WWII figs discounted.

Conrad Kinch said...

Maybe have a few plays and see how it sits with you first?

David Crook said...

Hi Paul,

That sounds like a good idea!

All he best,

DC

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Er, this would get me all frisky and into trouble with the missus!

David Crook said...

Hi Geordie,

It is rather an 'off the wall' kind of game for sure but the weirdness appeals - the minis look nice but are pretty expensive and so I can echo the potential for domestic disharmony....;-)

All the best,

DC