Thursday 9 May 2024

A Waterloo Footnote - Literally!


The front cover of the digital version….


….and the contents.


The footnote to page 4 - I cannot help but be delighted by this!

A short while ago mention was made of a book that was freely available on the net written by the esteemed author and historian, Charles Esdaile. The book was entitled Wargaming Waterloo and at the time I thought ‘Oooh, goody!’, downloaded it onto my IPad and then proceeded to forget about it!

Imagine my surprise and delight then, when my old friend Bob Cordery emailed me this morning and drew my attention to the footnote on page 4 of the text (see the picture above). So I am now contained in a footnote in an academic publication about gaming one of the most famous battles of all time that coincidentally happens to be a personal favourite of mine!

I had no idea about this and so naturally am rather pleased to be so noted. I did chuckle at ‘The many projects developed by Crook’ part of the footnote - I wonder if the esteemed Prof. Esdaile knows how many of these projects I have started or more importantly, how many I have finished!?

The three blog posts can be found here:

Waterloo A La Carte….Game Number 56, Part 1

Waterloo A La Carte….Game Number 56, Part 2

Waterloo A La Carte….Game Number 56, Part 3

I should also point out that the above idea was not entirely original in that I adapted a similar hex based concept designed by ‘Old Trousers’ ofNumbers, Wargames and Arsing About’ fame. The idea was originally mentioned in the following blog post:

“Yes, Wonderful Things!”

Hard to believe this was four ago - the figures have long gone and so I now have another method of getting my Napoleonics fix, but more of that at a later date.

Many thanks to Bob Cordery for bringing this to my attention!



14 comments:

Maudlin Jack Tar said...

Congratulations on your Footnote fame, Sir - well deserved in my opinion.

David Crook said...

Hello there Maudlin Jack Tar,

Many thanks old chap - Much appreciated! Since writing the post I have emailed the good professor to thank him.

Who would have thunk it eh?

All the best,

DC

Donnie McGibbon said...

Well done sir!! How cool is that.

David Crook said...

Hello there Donnie,

It was a most welcome surprise given the current situation in respect of work. I am quite flattered to have been included and feel suitably inspired to try it on something else!

All the best,

DC

Old Trousers said...

Congratulations! Well deserved indeed. I wonder if I can qualify as a footnote to a footnote? Funnily enough, my Waterloo a la Carte page is one of the most popular things I have ever done. Due, of course, to the work you and others have done on the subject.

All the best

Jay

David Crook said...

Hi there Jay,

I have emailed the good professor with a view to explaining the origins of my spin on your most excellent idea - I was merely standing on the shoulder of a giant!

A footnote to a footnote sounds like an eminently sensible suggestion!

All the best and thanks once again for the inspiration!

DC

Archduke Piccolo said...

David -
That's as good as being Mentioned in Dispatches. I reckon your volume of work and the thought that goes into it deserves Mr Esdaile's accolade.
Cheers,
Ion

Mark Cordone said...

Well done! It's always nice to receive unexpected accolades. I also enjoy your blog, and especially enjoyed those Waterloo posts.

David Crook said...

Hello there Archduke,

Thank you kindly sir! I must confess to have been a little distracted of late but normal service will soon be resumed asI seem to have built up a head of steam in respect of new things to try out!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Mark,

Thank sir and alongside your own prodigious output of content I am a mere amateur! Seriously though, using a chessboard, portable wargame style (or similar), is something I want to investigate and experiment with further. As ever, the results will be on the blog.

All the best and thanks once again!

DC

Aly Morrison said...

Well done on your footnotoriety David…

All the best. Aly

David Crook said...

Hi Aly,

It was an unexpected surprise for sure!

All the best,

DC

Glory to Ruritania said...

What a wonderful pleasant surprise, and well deserved recognition that’s for sure. Thank you for sharing so much on your blog. Quinn

David Crook said...

Hi Quinn,

It was indeed and many thanks for your kind words! I hope to be spending more time on the blog in the not too distant future.

All the best,

DC