Monday 17 January 2011

General Price (x2) and the Curse of the Improving Modeller


Above are the 'bare bones' completed models of the two General Price steamers - awaiting their deck mounted artillery. I have abandoned any idea of scratch building such items of kit and so an order to Peter Pig was duly sent yesterday for some medium and large deck guns from their Hammerin' Iron range of ACW ships. I have also decided to rework slightly some of the models - particularly the casemate ironclads as I want to reduce the size of the gun ports to 5 x 4mm rather than 5 x 5mm. I know its only a small change but it looks a whole lot better. This will also give me the chance to tweak the models as the smaller casemate ironclads should only have a single gun port fore and aft. I will also change the pilot houses to something a little more representative. the biggest change though is to the Confederate Rams as I will need to give them larger hulls in order to accommodate guns fore and aft. This is not difficult to do but I will need to be careful - luckily the hulls are separate from the superstructure so it should be merely a case of cutting them off and putting the new and larger hull in its place.
It is funny how when you look at earlier models with a critical eye as your technique improves - it gives rise to an itch that no amount of scratching can cure unless you change it!

4 comments:

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

Your ship models seem to be improving by leaps and bounds, and the end results will be very enjoyable to fight battles with, I am sure!

All the best,

Bob

SteelonSand said...

Did I really just read that you want to change the dimensions of the gun port hatches....each of them....by a millimetre? :-)

That's taking perfectionism to a whole new level - I am in awe of your dedication - seriously, though, I know what you mean - and if you don't change those small niggly points, then the whole will never look quite right to you - no matter that no one else would ever notice!

David Crook said...

Hi Bob,

Many thanks for the kind words. I feel as if my basic technique has improved with practice hence the upgrades which although small mean a lot to my creative urges!

I am itching to get the next batch of models completed and to start painting them.

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi SoS,

It is surprising what a difference a millimetre will make - I used the smaller size on the Cairo class and the Benton and it just seemed to look a whole lot better. Then it stared niggling at me and the 'itch' became full scale gnaw at my soul...;-)

It also means I can place them more accurately which will also look better as they will reflect the actual ships they are representing a little more closely.

All the best,

DC