Saturday 10 December 2022

Preparing for Action….Portable Ironclads Wargame Style

Given that the Portable Ironclads Wargame has been proofread and amended - just a couple of additional tweaks to have it ready for the grand order of the proof copies - I have been spending some time working on the remaining models and planning some additional refurbishments. The painting modelling tray currently looks something currently looks something like this:


A cryptic shot of the work station. The grey hull and the pair to the right are destined for the South whilst the others are headed North. Note the models under construction on the left.

After an exchange of messages with that very nice chap and authority on the armoured warships of the South, John Wallis, I shall be refurbishing some of the Confederate casemate ironclads into closer historical ships rather than generic. Of the six models I have built in this category four can be readily adapted by the simple expectant of removing some gunports or repositioning the existing ones. This will actually be quite easy to do and so over my Christmas break I shall get them duly repurposed.


The original six models.


These two need the gunports removed entirely and the newer smaller sized versions added.


The left hand model merely needs to have a pair of gunports removed and some of the decking painted over. The one on the right I need to think about but I have a few ideas.

The other refurbishments are chiefly confined to adding gun barrels to deck mountings which are easy enough to do, albeit a little fiddly. These will receive some attention after the remaining models that are currently being built are finished.

The Portable Ironclads Wargame

Not to long go now! 



4 comments:

Aly Morrison said...

It’s good to see that the shipyards are still being productive…
I look forward to seeing them painted…
And of course I look forward to seeing the book.

All the best. Aly

Elliesdad said...

David - is the book primarily centred around the American Civil War (which, I suppose, is what most wargamers first think of when someone mentions the word “ironclad”)? Or will it also touch on the smaller, more obscure/less “mainstream” campaigns? For example, something on the Russo-Turkish War 1877/8 would be nice.
Does the book provide “data” by which ships can be classified? I mean things like size, armour, speed, guns etc.

Good luck with the book. I’ll be ordering a copy as soon as it’s available.👍

Cheers,

Geoff

David Crook said...

Hello there Aly,

I had planned to spend a few hours in the man cave today but a swift 6 hour diversion to A and E with my daughter and her dislocated then located knee put paid to that! She is OK but on crutches.

The book is moving on at a fair lick and I should have some big news soon.

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Elliesdad,

The rules cover the period from 1860 to 1880 and with all the details needed to model ships from any of the periods described in the book. I plan to produce supplements for various conflicts which will include the Russo Turkish War (I have built some models fr this already) and the plan is for these to be available in PDF format.

It will be available soon!

All the best,

DC