Wednesday 14 February 2024

The Frontier Ablaze


Very pleased - and a bargain to boot!

The Afghanistan section of my library received a welcome boost with the addition you see of the above title. This is the second copy I have owned - the first was presumed missing in action as part of the great disappearing book mystery of years gone by - and so I was delighted to be able reacquire it.

This is nice series of large format hardback books and I already own the titles covering the ‘45 and the Zulu War (covering the battles of Isandlwana and Rorke’s Drift). By no means are they definitive works but they certainly look nice and serve a very good primers. The plates are also vey nice - in many ways these could almost be viewed as Osprey Menat Arms on steroids.

All this Afghanistan malarkey is leading up to a front loading for retirement project and so I have at least managed to secure the appropriate reference material.

Felling suitably pleased and inspired by degrees!

10 comments:

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

David,

I have a copy of this book … and it is an excellent book.

Read and enjoy,

Bob

Mark Cordone said...

Hmm, makes my want to look into it, like I need another project...😁

Ray Rousell said...

I too had this book once upon a time, I've no clue what happened to my book???

Conrad Kinch said...

A very handsome volume.

Steve J. said...

Having just finished Hopkirk's 'The Great Game', which is a superb read, it did make me think many a time of loads of wargmaing options from big battles in the desert wastes through to small actions in the Pamirs etc.

David Crook said...

Hi Bob,

It is a very useful addition to my Afghanistan library for sure!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Mark,

I will be intrigued with what you come up with!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Ray,

I hope you are feeling better old chap! My previous copy disappeared so i am pleased to have it back once again.

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hello there Mr Kinch,

It is indeed and I am certain it will come in very handy!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi SteveJ,

The Great Game is next up on my reading list!

All the best,

DC