Sunday 26 December 2010

' On the first day of Christmas....'


Well I have to say that Santa was very generous this year with a suitable selection of goodies for me - the main items for the blog being pictures above. The two DVD collections I am hugely pleased with - The World at War was a tremendous piece of work and was hugely inspiring to me as a young wargamer in the 1970's. The haunting opening credits and Laurence Olivier's masterful narration still has the power to raise the hairs on the back of your neck. Very evocative and one of my all time favourites.
Indiana Jones - what's not to like? Action, great dialogue, evil henchman and lots of derring-do and THAT theme tune!
The Vikings is an old favourite of mine and whilst the historical holes are big enough to row a longship through, it is a cracking piece of entertainment again, with THAT theme tune.
I have not seen the new Sherlock Holmes film (the next instalment is out next year) so this will be treat for sure.
The Osprey Military History quiz book is an unexpected treat and I have in mind a plan to run a military themed quiz night at the club for a change.
Finally, the extended edition CD of the soundtrack to the film Lawrence of Arabia. Again, a superb film and the soundtrack is really evocative and one of my favourites.
Not shown above was also a Waterstones £20 gift card so my library will also get a boost at some point.
All in all then, it has been a very successful Christmas with lots of nice presents, plenty to eat and drink and time spent with the family. As Pa Larkin would have said 'Perfick, just perfick!'

2 comments:

Paul O'G said...

Great stuff! I just got the Vikings too!

David Crook said...

Hi Tas,

It is a great film - probably just how most gamers like to think of the Vikings - beer, axes and Valhalla - what's not to like!?

All the best,

DC