Sunday 27 February 2011

The French Foreign Legion 1872 to 1914


I recently acquired the Osprey Men at Arms title above (number 461) which covers the colonial period described in Martin Windrow's 'Our Friends Beneath The Sands' and this is very much a companion volume. For completeness I will need to acquire the volume that covers 1914 to 1945 but that will be for a later date. The book follows the usual Osprey format and the one thing that has really intrigued me is the role of the Legion in the Sino-French war. I was hugely inspired by the pictures of French gunboats (including some paddle wheel driven vessels!) accompanied by sampans and junks etc. Much of the theatre of operations had no road network to speak of so much use was made of the rivers for transport and troop movements etc. The ships look quite 'scratchbuildable' and so this is yet another obscure project for consideration....;-)
Why, oh why do we do this?

4 comments:

David Manley said...

Dammit, you just HAD to mention the FFL, didn't you? I just managed to wean myself off the idea of building an FFL and Tuareg army in 15mm and now you have brought that spectre back to the forefront of my mind!!

David Crook said...

It is devilishly tempting isn't it? Funnily enough the desert has a lure and appeal all of its own and I love the idea of a unit of Chasseurs D'Afrique as well....

Yet more temptation....;-)

Paul O'G said...

Why?Why? Because its damn cool thats why? Thanks for reminding me (on day one of Dark Ages month too) of my FFL fort and unfinished 15mm army in the Man Cave...

David Crook said...

Hi Man Cave,

The pleasure is all mine!

All the best,

DC