Monday 28 May 2012

The Napoleonic Lightbulb Moment


Salamanca 1812 - If you look closely you can just about make out Wellington's chicken drumstick!

Now here's a thing. It suddenly came to me that it would be a good idea to fight a Napoleonic battle on my Hexon terrain using the period variant of Bob Cordery's Memoir of Battle 19th century rules that I am currently working on. These are basically a tweaked version of both Bob's rules and elements of those contained in Command and Colours: Napoleonics.

So far so good.

Then I got to thinking that perhaps fighting the battle using the Hexon terrain and those very nice blocks that come with the game rather than my own would also be a good idea.

Again, so far, so good

I know of many gamers that have used 3d terrain and painted armies to try this approach so I am wondering if using the blocks and 3d terrain is a first! Of course the action will need to be Peninsula based but that is no problem - I have sufficient books in the library to provide a useful  source of reference - as I could probably just use one of the scenarios with the game with a little improvisation.

I reckon that will be my Jubilee weekend game sorted out - the only problem will be whether I go for a historical refight or the old standby of a hypothetical bash.

One to ponder for the next few days methinks.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey David game on! Looking forward to your report. As I am working on my article Bursting the Mould some of your experiences with block armies will help with my writings ... Jeff

Martin said...

Looking forward to seeing some Jubilee gaming photos. When I originally saw your Hexon board and your wooden blocks I wondered if the command and colors blocks would look any good and now I'll hopefully get to see. Thanks, I really enjoy your blogs...... Just sayin

David Crook said...

Hi Jeff,

I am really looking forward to giving the old Napoleonic itch a good scratch so this weekend should be a good one. I am also more than happy to help out with anything block related for the article if you need it.

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Martin,

Many thanks old chap - much appreciated! This will be an interesting experiment and I shall happily spend a couple of days sorting out a suitable scenario to fight.

I must confess to being torn about what to fight - either a C and C action or one of my own making.

All the best

DC