There were 23 of the ‘90 Day’ gunboats built for the Union and they had short but active service lives. Being built from unseasoned timber certainly did not help with their longevity!
For the record I have built two of these but this is the only one that is finished as the guns are not ready for the second. It has been a learning experience assembling the artillery and so I am better prepared for the next batch!
To be strictly accurate the ship should have gunwales but I have yet to work out an effective way to model these. I gave the whole problem some thought and I reckon I have an answer so watch this space.
I will have a brace of similar looking Confederate vessels to build but these will be slightly different - three masts and 6 guns to be exact!
I am rather pleased with how she turned out and after tomorrow there will be 16 models left to build.
I have a deadline of sorts in that I shall be back in the office from July 1st so I definitely want t have all the models built by then.
No pressure then....