Tuesday 26 July 2011

Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships 1860 - 1905

Hurrah!! At long last I have been able to source a copy of this naval bible for my collection! I have been after this for what seems like an age and managed to land one via Ebay from a seller that lives a mere ten minutes from my house and so I was able to collect in person - just as well as the postage would have fairly lumpy for such a hefty tome. The book is in very good condition with a small nick on the dust jacket being the only obvious wear.

I have also sourced a copy of an 05/06 Jane's - the David and Charles reprint - which will complement the Conway's title handsomely.

The two titles have cost £20 and £10 respectively which is pretty reasonable in my estimation.

I shall now look to acquire the 1906 - 1921 and the 1922 - 1946 Conway's titles and a select couple of editions of Jane's as well so the naval reference library will then be in pretty good shape.

15 comments:

Conrad Kinch said...

Reference books are really a pleasure. I know the internet is a great resource, but there's nothing quite like leafing through a book.

David Crook said...

Hi CK,

You are so right - a good book is a thing of beauty and a joy forever and no amount of electronic trickery will ever replace it!

Of course SWMBO remains to be convinced by this....;-)

All the best,

DC

Peter Douglas said...

DC

Well done, I'm jealous!

PD

CWT said...

Good to see you're pressing ahead and meeting with some success!

CWT

Tim Gow said...

That's a great result. I have all four volumes of Conway and even as a mere dabbler in things nautical, life would be poorer without them. Although I'd be about £100 richer...

David Crook said...

Hi Peter,

I am really pleased with and the Jane's reprint because they complement each other nicely. Conway's id a little 'sterile' as a read although a mine of information but Jane's has a wonderful turn of phrase with some of its descriptions.

Very pleased indeed!

All the best,

DC

PS You can rest assured that they will be put to very good use!

David Crook said...

Hi CWT,

In lots of directions as well which means overall progress is steady if unspectacular!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Tim,

£100 for the four? Talk to me Mr Gow - you would be able to buy a lot more Russian armour!

It is a wonderful book and I will acquire the WW1 and WW2 editions as and when the opportunity presents itself!

All the best,

DC

Paul O'G said...

I want a copy too!!!

David Crook said...

Hi Paul,

For the VSF gamer it is absolutely wonderful and I am so pleased I got a copy at last - ironically it was a guy that lives ten minutes away from me!

All the best,

DC

Paul O'G said...

I have Jane's editions for WW1 & 2 but this is now definitely on my 'tomes to acquire' list. Keep an eye out at your usual haunts for me!

David Crook said...

Hi Paul,

I will do but it is hard to find and expensive when you do - not to mention the cost of shipping it to Aus!

All the best,

DC

Paul O'G said...

Guess I'll have to come pick it up then!

Paul O'G said...

Bought a cheap pdf copy to tide me over in the meantime! Pretty average scan but it will do for now

David Crook said...

Hi Paul,

It is a great title but rarer than hen's teeth and likely to cost a king's ransom when you do find it. If the scan is fuzzy on anything in particular I will happily help out.

Mine cost me £20 which I still can't believe!

All the best,

DC