Wednesday 6 July 2011

The Portable Naval Wargame is DEAD....



....Long Live The Naval Wargame....

I realise that seems a fairly dramatic headline but the explanation is really quite simple. Whilst the rules are simple in execution and I believe true to the intent of the Portable Wargame I cannot see how it can continue to be described as such. The playing is too large - even when using 1/3000th scale models - and I think the only way to truly describe this as a portable game would be to use hexes half the size of the Hexon version (2" across the flat sides) in conjunction with smaller ship models. I am thinking 1/6000th models and Heroscape tiles as being the ideal size in this case.

Since I own none of the former and only 21 of the latter (you would need 64 tiles at a minimum) it seems fairly pointless describing the rules as something they are not going to be - at least in my gaming universe!

Having got that point of pedantic clarification off my chest the progress on the ship specification lists has been steady if unspectacular. At the time of writing I have the USA to finish and the Greeks and Turks to review and then they are complete. The South American and Scandinavian navies will have to wait - as will Spain simply because the process has taken longer than I expected it to.

As this task is so close to completion (at least until the next round of play testing) the ACW ship painting has been delayed by a few days although I plan to be resuming this by the weekend at the latest. Of the 32 remaining models 16  are roughly halfway complete so as long as they are finished by the end of next week the final 16 will have the remainder of July to be worked on.

10 comments:

Paul O'G said...

I still have a bunch of 1/6000 models aching for some love!

The Angry Lurker said...

Thanks for the update.

Beccas said...

I started with 1/6000 WWII warships. Tried to paint a couple and went and bought 1/3000 scale. Playing a Victory at Sea with my 1/3000 feels right. I really enjoy the scale, ranges, movements etc.

David Crook said...

Hi Paul,

I know, I know but 1/6000th is probably a scale too far for my far from perfect eyesight! Good call though for sure.

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Angry,

I should have the remaining ship specs finished in the next day or so and then it will be some extensive play testing - most of which will appear on the blog at some point.

Watch this space!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Beccas,

Probably the ideal scale for my own gaming set up would be 1:4800th but sadly the ranges are not complete - although from what I have seen WW2 appears to be covered rather more.

1/3000th it is then....;-)

All the best,

DC

Peter Douglas said...

DC

I've gamed with the 1:3000 for WWI but moved to 1:2400 for WW2. The increase in detail between GHQ and Navwar is well worth the increase in cost. For the Pre-dreadnought era, I'd be sorely tempted by the War Time Journal 1:3000 models. They look lovely.

PD

Conrad Kinch said...

So now portable in the military sense?

David Crook said...

Hi Peter,

The GHQ stuff is lovely but too rich for my taste - both in cost and detail! Interesting that you have switched to that scale for WW2 though. I am looking at 1:4800th for WW2 but suspect that 1/3000th will be the scale of choice.

The WTJ pre dreads are really nice but as I would have to ship them into the UK it makes them pretty expensive - especially as the Navwar shop is only a short drive away!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi CK,

I am going to concede defeat here as I am not sure what you mean!

Clarification sir, if you please!

Bemused and perplexed,

DC