Saturday 4 April 2020

Planning a Napoleonic Adventure....Part 29


French Guard Cavalry - two units of Lancers, Horse Grenadiers and Chasseurs a Cheval


Line cavalry and mounted command. Two units of Cuirassiers, Carabiniers and Dragoons


The pictures above shows the French cavalry and mounted command figures for the 1815 collection. Yesterday I managed to get the first coat of green on the bases and so will be finishing them today. Next up will be the French Guard and artillery crews with the line and light foot bringing up the rear. the plan is to have the whole lot done by Easter weekend.

For the record the first coat used half a tin of Humbrol Satin 131 and in the light of this I am even more relieved that my order for and additional five tins arrived in time!

6 comments:

Mark Dudley said...

I have just checked my stock of Humbrol 80 Grass Green. To my relief I have 4 tins so should be ok.

I find I need 2 or 3 coats before I get a decent finish.

Aly Morrison said...

I am really enjoying watching this all come together David...
I gave up on buying Humbrol paints for paint my shiny toy soldier bases... l bought two and a half litres of a colour called Urban Jungle from my local Wilcos hardware store.. it’s a bit lighter than the Humbrol colour... but I don’t think I will run out.

All the best. Aly

David Crook said...

Hi Mark,

I have just finished the last of my original tins of 131 so from here on it it will the five new additions.

I would have used 80 were it not for the fact that the original ACW Spencer Smiths were in 131 so I merely followed suit!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Aly,

Many thanks old chap! It is getting there slowly - I have just finished the second base coat on the French Cavalry bases - and I must confess to wishing I had explored a cheaper paint route! It was it is and so whilst I will not bother for anything with a green base for my panned desert adventures I shall be looking for a more economic solution!

The French Guard is up next with the gun crews.

All the best,

DC

Steve J. said...

Lovely to see this project carrying on apace. Humbrol paints take me back to my youth and no wonder I always had a headache in my small room after a painting session. Thank God for acrylics is all I can say.

David Crook said...

Hi Steve J,

I tend to use enamels and acrylics - the former simply because I have so many tins - but then I am a fairly occasional painter so the headaches are not too bad!

I am pleased with the progress and the end of this phase is definitely in sight.

All the best,

DC