Friday 9 October 2009

Terminator Marines - dont you just love 'em!! Part 5

I finally managed to get some time in on the blue marines this evening - the first layer of sand for the bases has been applied. My technique for basing these is to paint the base black (not all the mk.1 terminators had black bases - as there was originally only one model type the sergeants had a red base!) and then coat the top with PVA. This is then dipped into sand and the excess is lightly brushed off. I then give this a coat of gloss varnish before repeating the process. This is then gloss varnished and coated with a matt varnish over the top to finish it off. The two coats of gloss varnish serve to seal the sand to the base. This time however, I will be using some paint on the sand - if only as a highlight.

I have also received the scan of the Colonial Marines in Space Hulk contained in the Ragnarok Compendium from Mark Kitching to whom I extend my most grateful thanks. This are even better than I remembered and so I will have plenty of inspiration for 'Aliens' style games going forward. Aside from the normal Colonial Marine hardware (pulse rife, pistol, SMART gun etc) there is also some suggested rules for Sentry Guns which I had forgotten about and so was delighted to see.

2 comments:

Paul O'G said...

Lookin' forward to some pics once youve got them all finished up!

David Crook said...

Dont worry - it is quite rare for me to paint anything so when these are ready you can rest assured they will be splashed all over the net! I put the first coat of varnish on the bases and the shoulder pads as I shall be placing transfers there. The gloss varnish is needed as a background to the transfers so as to lose the 'ghosting' effect when they are applied.