Friday 25 March 2011

'Mobilis in Mobile' or Finding what made Nemo tick....


I have finally gone and done it. I have purchased a netbook for my cyber activities on the move (Mobilis in Mobile even!). I have been pondering this leap of technological faith for some time and initially was looking at a full blown laptop. The problem is, my desktop if a pretty good machine and so having in effect another computer was a little on the excessive side, even by my standards. My older PC is now in my daughters room and is perfectly adequate for her needs (centred as they around homework, facebook and I-tunes!) so adding a third was not really going to be a good idea. I chose a netbook specifically because it is not a laptop and so the plus points of size and ease of transport as well as the 'stripped down' nature of its capabilities means that I can focus on the use it will get - namely supporting my cyber life and writing - rules, blog(s) and many other things. I have roughly three hours a day I can devote to computer time (I am not counting work in this!) so if I can use that via this portable function then in theory I will have more time to spend at home on model building, painting and interacting with the family.
That probably sounds a very tenuous justification and I suppose to an extent it may be true - still, a theory has to be disproved before it can be consigned to the scrapheap of good intentions and bright ideas!
Mobilis in Mobile - mobile in the mobile element (as near as makes no difference) is certainly very true in this respect and my thanks to Jules Verne for coming up with it!

8 comments:

Paul O'G said...

Will you now change your name to "David No-One"? :-)

Conrad Kinch said...

Right, Young Nemo - less chatter and more claiming of Antartica.

Get weaving!

David Crook said...

Hi Man Cave and CK,

Try as I might I have not got the faintest idea what you are talking about!

Please enlighten me.

All the best,

DC (feeling particularly dense this morning!)

Paul O'G said...

Nemo is Latin for "no one"!

David Crook said...

Hi Man Cave,

Many thanks old chap - Latin was never my strong point!

All the best,

DC

Conrad Kinch said...

Captain Nemo claims Antartica in his own name. He's that sort of chap.

David Crook said...

Hi CK,

Many thanks for the info - I had forgotten about that and so will revisit 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea at the earliest opportunity!

All the best,

DC

Paul O'G said...

Please do so and poste haste sir, or risk being labeled a bounder and a cad!