After two days of work-induced deprivation the 'mojo' is back! I managed to tackle a mere 10 minutes worth of work on the ACW ships last night and it was like having a light switched on!
I was having real trouble getting motivated because not only was I tired (and it is only just Wednesday as I write which does not auger particularly well for the rest of the week - but that is another story) but also I had a real problem with funnels.
Allow me to explain.
All of the ACW models as built have their funnels in place. Funnels are round and I have real problems painting around anything circular where it is in contact with the hull (this would include painting around the edges of a turret). In fact, whilst painting the Confederate ironclads I removed the funnels in order to make life easier - I could paint the funnels off the model and then add them to the appropriate place on the respective hull when ready.
I should have done this with the current batch as is many cases it is quite difficult to get a brush in and at the right angle to tidy up the joins 'twixt funnel and hull. As an aside, the funnels on the city class were slightly too far forward and so needed resetting a few mm further back and this is now the perfect opportunity to correct this.
The funnels are all off of the models now and so I can paint them separately (or rather touch them up as they already painted) and it means that tidying up the upper hull will be a whole lot easier to paint (and faster!).