Sunday 17 November 2019

Pining for Georgia


Bargain of the day - 8 trees for a pound in two sizes. They are around 7mm thick with the ruler alongside for scale.

Today could have been one of frustration - I will not bore you with the details - but for a pleasing win courtesy of the Works. SWMBO and I headed off to Basildon for some bits and pieces - mainly Christmas related but with a built in browse around as well - and as is my custom when over there I always make a point of stopping in the Works. There was little on the book front to tempt me but I a quick glance at the arts and crafts section led me to the packet above.

The big trees are 6cm whilst their smaller brethren are 3cm. Both are the same thickness - 7mm. For my Spencer Smith project these are ideal (I purchased 5 packs but probably should have gotten some more - I will try the Rayleigh branch (no pun intended!) to get another 3 packs methinks.

I wanted 2D trees as the table footprint is minimal which is an important consideration when using a grid. I am in two minds about how to base these. I am tempted to use the idea below with four trees on a 4” by 1” deep base for some of them and to also to base a few up individually. The advantage of this idea is that the base could be deployed along the grid side nearest the enemy meaning that any troops deployed in the square would be largely invisible to the enemy thereby providing an element of ‘the fog of war’. The individual trees could be used to add a little local colour rather than representing wooded or forested areas.


Rebels lurking in a wood of good Georgia Pine

Obviously the trees will need painting but even for me these should be pretty straightforward. All I need to do now is to get some similarly styled buildings, again with the 2D idea in mind, and work on the scenic aspect of my ACW project will really move along.

I am sure that the purist will point out that the Georgia Pine does not really look like a Christmas tree but such things do not bother me and in any event, these will also work well for the Russian Front!



10 comments:

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

I really like those evergreen trees! Might try to find some on this side of the pond via one of our big box craft outlets.

Best Rwgards,

Stokes

Jim Duncan Wargamer said...

Smart thinking.

David Crook said...

Hi Stokes,

I was really pleased to get them and at a price that was hard to resist. Good luck on your side of the pond!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Jim,

They look just right alongside the 30mms and will fit in with the whole ‘old school’ vibe of the collection.

All the best,

DC

Steve J. said...

Great find and perfect for that Old School look.

David Crook said...

Hi Steve J,

I was very pleased with them and the cost. I have come up with the basing convention I shall use and will need to acquire another pack. I will be constructing 6 bases with four trees on (4” x 1”) 8 bases with two trees on (2” x 1”) and 8 singles. This lot will give me sufficient flexibility on the grid.

All the best,

DC

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

What a great find! I'll have to look out for them the next time I visit a branch of THE WORKS.

All the best,

Bob

David Crook said...

Hi Bob,

Perfect for the Russian Front as well! Seriously though, at 12.5p a go they are a bargain. One more pack should see me right for the 30mm project. I only hope that some enterprising soul decides that producing houses on a similar basis would be a good idea!

All the best,

DC

Mark, Man of TIN said...

Marching through Georgia? Check out the Forgotten Georgia website for vernacular buildings
https://manoftinblog.wordpress.com/2017/07/13/forgotten-georgia-all-159-states-visited/

David Crook said...

Hello Mark, Man of Tin,

Many, many thanks for the link old chap - this is a veritable goldmine of ideas for some real estate! I shall get the trees dealt with first and will then think about how best to tackle the buildings on a similar basis.

All the best,

DC