Monday 9 May 2011

Balkan Intrigues - Toy Soldier Style

I spent some time yesterday evening reacquainting myself with my 15mm Irregular Miniatures Balkan Wars figures that I acquired nearly 18 months ago (see http://awargamingodyssey.blogspot.com/2009/12/irregular-balkan-war-15mm-figures.html ). The Bulgarians are at the halfway stage in respect of painting (despite the tunic problem!) but I have had a little bit of a rethink about how I shall be finishing them. I have decided to go for a toy soldier style approach - especially now as I shall be representing the armies circa. 1900 rather than for 1912. This will mean I shall be adjusting the painting I have thus far undertaken but this should not be too difficult once I get to it although due to the ACW naval collection this will not be until July at the earliest.

I have opted for the 'Toy Soldier' style for the painting for a number of reasons, the main one being that it looks nice! There is a nice selection of colours on display for the armies which will look suitably impressive - certainly the Turks with red fezzes and dark blue uniforms will look splendid when ready, not to mention the various irregulars I intend raising. Painting in such a style will be easier for me given my aversion to painting anything organic and the figures will look 'bolder' when in action. I may even go for the full on gloss varnish look as well although this will probably play havoc with any photography (at least when I take the pictures that is!). Whether they will fight any better in their brighter plumage is, of course another matter!

4 comments:

Sidney Roundwood said...

Carry on the good work David, I'm following with interest. The Balkan Wars look very interesting, particularly from a small campaign perspective.

Chris said...

David,

I agree with you in al respects. I bought some 40mm Balkan War figures from Irregular last year, and have been undecided as to how to paint them. The toy soldier look sounds just right, especially as I have no other figures painted like that.

Best regards,

Chris

David Crook said...

Hi Sidney,

Thankyou very much sir! I have a number of ideas to throw at this project and fully intend spending some of my holiday putting pen to paper - hopefully with the results on this blog in due course. For now though it is a collection of fermenting ideas that are gardually taking shape. The ACW ships must take priority - at least from a painting perspective!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Chris,

I have always fancied a 'toy soldier' style set up but do not have the space, time or money to run to 54mm - even 42mm (although I did unsuccessfully dabble with these a few years back). 15mm is novel for sure but I honestly believe that it would work out quite well. I just need to firm up some uniform details for 1900.

All the best,

DC