Sunday 8 May 2011

A Boot Sale Bonanza

Today SWMBO and I went to our local 'lazybones' boot sale - so called as it opens at 10:30am which is far more civilised than the usual dawn kick off - and I had a wonderful time! First up, and inspired by Bob Cordery whose collection of foreign buildings acquired from his various travels is enormous!, was a lovely set of ceramic Greek style buildings which are absolutely ideal for my 15mm Balkan wars set up and originate from, ironically, Corfu - which is where I am heading in a couple of weeks. I plan to acquire some more of these whilst I am away under the general heading of 'souveniers'. These five buildings cost me the princely sum of £1.



Next up was a little more expensive at £10 for the six - the sixe being a selection of hardback titles from the Osprey Battles of WW2 series. These are basically hardback versions of Osprey campaign series titles. I already own 6 of these and so adding a further six was a welcome addition. the titles are 5. Libya 1940, 6 Tobruk 1941, 7 Iraq 1941, 8 Crete 1941, 14 Gazala 1942 and 17 El Alamein 1942. Considering that an Osprey campaign title goes for around £15 a volume acquiring these six for £10 was an absolute bargain.



Finally, I managed to acquire a sealed copy of the two disc special edition of the classic sci-fi film Alien for a £1. All in all then, It was a pretty good days bargain hunting.

P.S. Sorry Bob, no sign of anything even remotely Britains looking!

4 comments:

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

David Crook,

Nice buildings!

You will find lots of different model buildings on sale in all sorts of souvenir shops. You will probably come back with a veritable township ... or even city!

Thanks for looking for the Britains figures. One day you might strike luck.

All the best,

Bob

David Crook said...

Hi Bob,

The only thing I may do to the buildings is to give them a matt varnish as they are very glazed. I will keep on looking for the Britains kit and I note that you have already considered Battle Cry for the figures you have with the Hexon terrain - now that would something to see!

All the best,

DC

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Nice finds!

David Crook said...

Hi Geordie,

I was very pleased and with boot sales you generally get more 'misses' than 'hits' - but when you do score then just occasionally it is really worthwhile!

All the best,

DC