Tuesday 17 May 2011

Flags for the Memory....ACW Painting Part 4


An example of the Confederate Battle Flag

I spent a little time last night after the deck painting finalising the name labels for the collection. I like to have the ship's name on display for my models and have settled on Arial as the font type (size 12) in bold with those ships that were never actually used for one reason or another in Italics. It is a technique I first used on my old Axis and Allies: War at Sea collection and it looks pretty effective. I have made provision for the flags which I also place on the model's base. For the Union this is absolutely no problem as the standard US flag - the famous 'Star and Stripes' - will suffice. For the Confederates though the issue is slightly more complex.


Confederate Naval Ensign up to 1863


The Confederate Naval Ensign after 23rd May 1863

The naval ensign in use from 23rd May 1863 was basically a white flag with the Confederate Battle Flag in the top left corner and was based on the new national flag. It was quite controversial as it was described as being a little too close to the white flag of surrender although the cynics could say that from 1863 this was probably highly appropriate! For my River based collection the flag up to 1863 will be used - I imagine that given the parlous nature of the Confederate naval administration (despite the best efforts of Mallory) this probably continued in service in any event and besides, I think it looks far better than the later version! 


4 comments:

The Angry Lurker said...

Had never seen that confederate ensign before, very nice.

David Crook said...

Hi Angry,

It does look very nice and that will be the one I go for.

All the best,

DC

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Eye-candy needed :)
Pics of Ships please

David Crook said...

Hi Geordie,

There will be pics indeed! The Nazgul Ironclads (so called due there being 9 of them) are nearly at the 'artistic' phase (washing and dry brushing)so should be ready for a photoshoot by the weekend.

All the best,

DC