Saturday 31 October 2020

A Little Light Reading


 Oh yes indeedy!

Take a look at the goodies above! Freshly arrived this morning courtesy of a very smooth transaction these will provide a welcome reinforcement to the book shelves.

I am rather taken by the Official History of Operations in Persia - especially with the fold out maps - and although it will be a dry read will certainly have plenty of ideas. The two Marlburian titles will be very useful for my planned WSS WoFun outing and the Chinese naval book will give me some ideas for the pre dreadnought phase of my building project. Allenby’s War I have owned before but sadly is one of those titles that mysteriously vanished from the collection some years ago. Tip and Run covers the Great War in Africa and this is a subject that partially inspired the famous Madasahatta campaign. Finally the WW1 air title will be handy to have when I drag out my copy of Richthofen’s War or Aces High to play at some point.

The above came about as the result of some of my recent disposals and so represent another example of churning through my collection. Going in the opposite direction was a few non Waterloo Napoleonic titles. There is a further disposal that is worthy of mention. 

The 30mm Spencer Smith ACW collection has moved on. In fact, it has gone home which is only fitting and so Old Painter Bob will be taking the collection to the next level in ways that I could not have.

All is well.

6 comments:

Steve J. said...

A nice mix of titles to certainly keep you happy I'm sure. I slowly plowing through my bookshelf of titles not yet read, which will only increase as it looks likely we will hit Lockdown part II in the next day or so.

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

David,

I have the Chinese Navy book (it is very good), Tip and Run (equally good), and Allenby’s War (which isa great history of the First World War in the Middle East). You’ll enjoy reading them ... and they’ll give you lots of ideas for wargames.

All the best,

Bob

Trebian said...

The one on "Marlborough's Other Army" is very frustrating. Riddled with typos (well, it is a Helion publication) and very one-eyed. How can you describe a battle and only give the orbat of one side? It's worth owning, but could have been a much better book.

David Crook said...

Hi Steve J,

They all tick a number of boxes and whilst they will all get read at some point it will not be for a while as I have a few other titles on the go.

Handy for the Lockdown though!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Bob,

There is plenty of material there for sure - the Persia Official History has some splendid maps that are crying out for something PW based!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Trebian,

That is frustrating for sure! I hope that ‘No Peace without Spain’ will help to round it out a little (except for the spelling of course!).

All the best,

DC