After a busy and surprisingly fruitful few hours with work related stuff I was feeling rather productive so I set about finishing the the final two models from the current batch as a reward. They are now completed! I have finalised - and indeed have started - the designs of the additional two models for this phase of the project and assembly is already under way. I shall get these two models built and painted before the inaugural action but I am looking to be gaming with the dozen of them within the week.
A study in singularity - one of the pair
The most challenging part of the construction of the two newest models you see above was of course the masts. By being methodical and careful they came together really well. I would also add that frequent ‘dry runs’ are essential, especially when you are in effect making fours masts to the same plan! As with all the models I have built there is a degree of artistic licence and practical compromise.
The masts are a great example of this as by careful positioning of spars and fighting tops one is able to ensure that strength is added to what is a quite fragile looking assembly. This would not be entirely accurate but it does make for a more secure gaming model! I mentioned in the comments of my previous post that I had to use satin varnish rather than matt and I am really pleased I did. I used an initial coat of Games Workshop Purity Seal spray varnish for what I call a ‘handling spray’ but I will follow this up with a hand brushed coat. The satin finish adds to the whole ‘old school’ look of the models which is very easy on the eye.
The ships are very much a hybrid design. I opted for a turret rather than the gun house with pivots so the ships are based upon two types the Confederacy had ordered but, with the exception of the C.S.S. Stonewall, never took delivery of.
I would be less than truthful if I said that I liked all the models I have built equally as I really like the look of these two!